Tuesday, March 19, 2013

DIY Stripe Clutch

Lately, I have been dying to add a little pop of neon to my wardrobe. A few months ago I spotted this gorgeous Clare Vivier clutch at Anthropologie. I loved the bright stripe down the middle but I didn't love the price. With some acrylic paint and a plain brown clutch, I figured I could make my own.
Supplies:
Leather or faux leather clutch (I purchased mine from here for only $3.99!)
Acrylic craft paint
Paint brush
Painters tape
Fine grit sand paper
Rubbing alcohol
Cotton balls
Small bowl for paint
Mod Podge (I used Satin finish)
Q-tips

How To:
1. Tape off a stripe down the middle of the clutch. If there is a buckle, tape around it as well. 
2. Use the sand paper between the two pieces of tape to rough up the surface of the clutch. This will help the paint stick to the bag.
3. Prep the area you want to paint with some rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball. This helps remove the shiny finish the leather might have. 

4. Paint between the two pieces of tape (I mixed three different colors to get the perfect neon pink). Allow a few minutes for the paint to dry between coats. Apply a couple coats of paint to get the desired look. I applied 5 coats to my clutch.
5. Remove the tape and use a wet Q-tip to remove any bits of paint that seeped underneath the tape.
6. Finally, brush two to three coats of Mod Podge on top of the paint. Allow 15-20 minutes to dry.
You're finished! 
I can't wait to wear mine this spring!

2 comments:

  1. You. Are. Amazing.

    I love that you have close-up pictures, as well as how you would style the clutch. Is it bad of me to say that I think yours is cuter than the one from Anthropologie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! And of course i isn't bad of you to say that haha. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete