Monday, March 18, 2013

Pear and Blackberry Scones with Cinnamon Honey Butter

After a relaxing week at the beach, I am home and back to reality. 
One morning we stopped at a coffee shop in town, Amavida Coffee and Tea, to pick up coffee and breakfast. One of the pastries that caught my eye was a peach and blackberry scone. It was so delicious that I knew I had to recreate the recipe when I got home.
Since peaches aren't in season, I chose to use pears instead and I am so glad I did!

Oh. My. Goodness. These scones are heavenly. After pulling them out of the oven and letting them cool, I ate not one, not two, but three (whoops!). They are THAT good.



Pear and Blackberry Scones
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

2 almost ripe pears (I used Anjou) 
1 6 oz. package blackberries
1 1/2 cups all-all purpose flour 
1/4 cup granulated sugar plus a little extra to sprinkle on top
1 1/2 teaspoon backing powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 large eggs, 1 for dough, 1 for egg wash

Heat oven to 375°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

Peel and core pears. Cut into 1-inch chunks. Whisk flour, baking powder, 1/4 cup sugar and salt together in the bowl of an electric mixer. Toss in pear chunks, blackberries, bits of butter, heavy cream and 1 egg. With the paddle attachment, mix the dough on low speed until it just comes together. Don’t overmix. 

On a very well floured counter, pat out dough until it is about 6 inches around. Cut into 9 squares and transfer to baking sheet at least two inches apart. Whisk remaining egg in a small dish with 1 teaspoon of water and a pinch of salt. Brush each scone with egg wash and sprinkle with a little sugar.

Bake scones until firm and golden, about 30-35 minutes. I started out with 25 minutes and ended up cooking them for another 10 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack. Serve with cinnamon honey butter. 

Enjoy!

Cinnamon Honey Butter

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt

Combine the butter, honey, cinnamon, and salt. Serve at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment